Thursday 8 April 2010

Coat of Arms project - Shire of Aros badge finished


I sent out a message on our mailing list saying I had finished the badge I promised to do, namely for the Shire of Aros, and there I promised pictures. Here is the promised picture, showing how I outlined the entire badge in chain stitch, the owl separately in chain stitch in black, then on the outside again with chain stitch, and the surfaces finally filled in using split stitch.

The laurel wreath is not that pretty, or even, but I used stem stitches and satin stitches to make it up. From the right distance it looks like a wreath at least, which is what counts.

There are three more pictures in my Giftbasket gallery on Picasa for anyone interested.

/Lia

3 comments:

Racaire said...

I think it looks great! :)

Elisheva said...

It looks good! Split stitch is usually my stitch of choice. One can control it so well and it is very useful when you want to make small details. Unfortunately it is quite slow to make compared to some other stitches.

What do you think?

Lia de Thornegge said...

Thanks to both Racaire and Elisheva.

This was my first time actually using split stitch for anything at all, and although it did take a little while I think it went along rather speedily. Only held up by the fact that you can't "double-time" it so to speak. I found I -had- to use a stretching frame and I had to pull the needle down and through all the way, and then up again and through all the way. I'm a very naughty broiderer and usually sneak by without using a frame.

I think it might be useful to experiment by filling shapes with split stitch and altering the directionality and all that, but honestly, I am not mad keen on non-counted techniques, and I don't think I will do it just to experiment. If I get more practice, it will be because there's some project that needs doing that demands split stitches. Which, admittedly, might happen sooner rather than later.

I think all surface filling techniques will take a comparatively long time, and amongst themselves there won't be that much of a difference, really.