Sunday 23 March 2008

A new member

Greetings,
I am Baroness Siubhan inghean Fhearghuis, but that name may change. Thanks to Jahanarabanu Viviana, I have been dabbling in things Persian so I should choose a name to match. I live in the Shire of Flintheath in the Crown Principality of Insulae Draconis. I haven't been embroidering all that long, but I have managed to finish a couple projects. Here is the latest.

These will be the sleeves on a Persian robe once I get them attached to the robe. The top one was the first sleeve I embroidered. The unfinished part on the left is where I thought I would need the sleeve wider but then determined that the six repeats would be enough. The design is from a knitted fragment found in Egypt from the 11th or 12th Century (as found in the Here Be Wyverns book by Nancy Spies). The design was outlined in a stem stitch then the whole thing was filled with a chain stitch. These are both stitches known to be used in the Persian Empire in the 7th Century, so I am comfortable using them in a little later period. The fabric is wool with silk used for the design.
For any who wish to see the progress updates from when I made these sleeves, my craft journal is http://siubhan-crafts.livejournal.com/ .

I will try to blog soon about my current embroidery project.

1 comment:

Racaire said...

Great!!!!
Thank you for sharing :)