Dear honourable Lords and Ladies,
dear gentle members of the "Dragon's Needle Embroidery Guild" and "-eMail Group"!
Again I may feature another lovely project of a Guild member to you - Jahanara is so kind to share some lovely photos and some of her thoughts about her latest project - lovely woven fabric for the Pennsic Gift Bags.
Guild Project 2011 - "We have Dragons":
...once again the project details:
________________ ~*~ ________________
2nd Guild Project - "We have Dragons"
- Fabric: wool
- Fabric size: 20,0 x 20,0 cm (7,9 x 7,9 inch) + ca. 1,5 cm (0,6 inch) Surplus for sewing
- Fabric color: every color allowed
- Embroidery: every technique allowed
- Important restrictions: 1) at least one dragon per patch (or more!) ; 2) the basic fabric for the patch should be wool, you can use silk, linen, wool, metal,... (thread or fabric) to embroider it
- End date: October 2011 (please send in your patches till 1st of October)
- The project is open to everyone - you don't need to be a Guild member to join this project.
- Every embroidery technique and skill is welcome - please don't hesitate to contact me if you are interested!!
If you ever had a favourite picture or story including at least one or more dragons - this is the time to embroider it!
Dragons fighting against knights, dragons sleeping at the top of a hoard, dragons flying above woods, lakes, fjords, mountains; dragons eating or scaring virgins, a dragon mother surrounded by kids, dragons who just lost their fight against the knight (or the other way round), ... just take a journey through your memories and the old stories you read in books or you've been told - lets bring the old legends to life again! :)
...and if your embroidery is based on an old myth - I really wouldn't mind if you tell us the old myth by posting a picture of your embroidery and a short text telling the legend (and if you don't like to post it by yourself, you can still send me your photo and your text and I will do that for you).
Thinking of all people and also the newcomers in some regions, who maybe haven't done a lot of wool embroidery till now, I would ask the lords and ladies who have some experience in wool embroidery to screw up their courage and to offer one or more wool embroidery classes at the next events they will attend or at a private embroidery & sewing evening for your local group - it would be great to see more lovely applique, intarsia,... and all the other possible kinds of wool embroidery in the future!
And last but not least - because of the great support and interest into our first guild project shown by the local guild in Aarnimetsä, the second guild project will be assembled by the local guild in Aarnimetsä under the gentle guidance of the local guild head Lady Fiora. Many thanks to Lady Fiora for her great help.
...and again the artisan who makes the most patches will get a small embroidered gift from the guild head. :)
________________ ~*~ ________________The "We have Dragons" project is a great chance to get rid of wool leftovers or to swap wool leftovers with friends :)
Guild Project 2010 - "Coat of Arms Wallhanging for Drachenwald":
The very LAST CALL for the first Guild Project and also the last possibility to participate in our very first guild project because the enlarged deadline for the second part of the "Coat of Arms Wallhanging for Drachenwald" is the end of May - therefore one last reminder from the local guild head Renika (Nordmark) to you:
For those of you that started or planned a patch (or more) for the Coat of Arms challenge - You now have the chance to contribute to part two! I have three patches so far, but know for sure that many more exists in the kingdom. Please send them to me before the end of May or bring them to Double Wars, where I hope to start assembling them.
------*------If you want to send one (or more) finished patch(es) to Fru Renika and need her address, just contact me and I'll send you her snail mail address asap.
You can find the project details here: http://dragonsembroiderers.blogspot.com/2011/01/1st-guild-project-2010-coat-of-arms.html
...and a picture of the first "Coat of Arms Wallhanging for Drachenwald" here: http://dragonsembroiderers.blogspot.com/2011/01/coat-of-arms-wallhanging-for_16.html
"Token Challenge" and the "Pennsic Giftbasket"
...and also a reminder for the "Token Challenge" and the "Pennsic Giftbasket"!
More info here: FAQ - Giftbasket confusion: http://dragonsembroiderers.blogspot.com/2011/01/faq-giftbasket-confusion.html
And I would also like to remind you once again on the eMail Mistress Katheryn sent out concerning specific items needed for the Pennsic Giftbasket some time ago:
This year at Double Wars we will jointly work on some parts of the Pennsiv giftbasket. Lady Jahanara is currently weaving the fabric to make two shoulder bags – one each for the King and Queen who will recieve our gift. Theese bags will contain things that might be useful for a King and Queen to have with them.
So, here is a list of specific items that I would like them to contain. If you wish to make a certain item - let me know and I will make sure that we won't end up with to many of one item and to few of another. If you think of something else that could be useful that is NOT on this list - let me know!
This is just a part of the gift so we will still need more items! This is just for a Kings and Queens kit that could be useful for them to have close by at any time!
2 x a small book to take notes in
2 x a small sewing kit for emerency mending, a needle book, one or two sewing needles and small wooden thread spools (I will provide small thread snippers, and all the other parts could ofcourse be made by different people.)
2 x embroidered handkerchief
2 x small bags to either hold duct tape or possibly make up
2 x coifs as emergency head wear
fingerlooped or woven ribbons for lacing for both bags
Any former kings or queens how could add to the list??? What do you think could be a good thing for theese bags?
At DW we will put the bags together and decorate them. The Queens bag will get an apliqued rose and what we will do on the kings bag I don't know at the moment, but we will come up with something!
And as soon as we know what kingdom we're swaping gifts with we could make a few tokens that the king and queen could have in their bags if they unexpectedly want to thank someone who helps out. Even tokens suitable for children would be good!
Let me know if you want to help!
Pennsic giftbasket coordinator
...and last but not least - please also don't forget "Duarte's Raglan challenge!"
Especially if making a banner for your local group, barony, principality, guild, kingdom, your own coat of arms,... is already on your list, please join this challenge to add more banners and therefore also more colors to the next events :) - http://dragonsembroiderers.blogspot.com/2011/01/for-your-information-duartes-raglan.html
Now back to the normal Guild business:
Guild Membership Roll:
We have still 61 members..
( http://dragonsembroiderers.blogspot.com/search/label/Guild%20Member-List )
Guild Blog - Dragon's Embroidery Workshop:
If you would like to join the Workshop, just write me an eMail! ( http://dragonsembroiderers.blogspot.com )
- Insulae Draconis Fibre Arts Interest Group ( http://idfibreinterestgroup.blogspot.com/ )
- Aarnimetsä Embroidery Basket ( http://kirjontakori.blogspot.com/ )
Guild Fanpage at facebook:
Our guild fanpage at facebook ( http://www.facebook.com/guild.head.Racaire ) has 181 fans! :)
Every project can be an inspiration - therefore please don't hesitate to use the fanpage or the blog and to post your embroidery projects or links to your projects there if you like :)
...and if you think you have a great project which you would like to share, please don't hesitate to contact me :)
Guild Projects / Challenges:
- The 1st Guild Project 2010 - "Coat of Arms Wallhanging for Drachenwald" http://dragonsembroiderers.blogspot.com/search/label/Coat%20of%20Arms%20Wallhanging%20for%20Drachenwald
- The 2nd Guild Project 2011 - "We have Dragons" http://dragonsembroiderers.blogspot.com/search/label/Guild%20Project%202
Misc. Projects / Challenges:
- A&S 50 Challenge ( http://dragonsembroiderers.blogspot.com/2008/03/50-challenge.html )
- A&S 50 Challenge Drachenwald Blog ( http://drachenwald-as50.blogspot.com/ )
...and now to the 8th Guild Report:
Report of Dragon's Needle Embroidery Guild - Drachenwald
8th report by reporter / guild head: Lady Racaire
Time Period: 16. November 2010 - 15. May 2011 / 1st report 2011
Since the last report three new members joined the guild and we have now a total of 61 members.
List based on the membership roll (http://dragonsembroiderers.blogspot.com/search/label/Guild%20Member-List) started at 18.October 2007.
1) Racaire (Central - guild head)
2) Rakonczay Gergely (Aarnimetsä)
3) Thomas Paumer (Central)
4) Katherina Mornewegh (Central)
5) Lia de Thornegge (Scandinavia)
6) Edith of Hedingham (Crown Principality of Insulae Draconis
7) Baroness Mary Verch Thomas (Crown Principality of Insulae Draconis)
8) Hudd de Peth (Kingdom of the Outlands)
9) Johanna aff Hucka (Aarnimetsä)
10) Eva Grelsdottir (Aarnimetsä)
11) Arnulf der Zeilner (Central)
12) Lady Jane Devereux (Crown Principality of Insulae Draconis)
13) Katharina Woinovich (Central)
14) Lady Eilgri Beccan (Aarnimetsä - Aarnimetsä region guild head)
15) Viscountess Helwig Ulfsdotter (Scandinavia)
16) Katharina von Owe (Central)
17) Sileas von Biuira (Central)
18) Lady Ælfwynne of Eoforwic (Nordmark)
19) Renika Rikardsdottir (Nordmark)
20) Mistress Anya Mstyslavyaya (Central)
21) Alenn von Horn (Central)
22) Halfdan von Veneta (Central)
23) Anna de Byxe (Nordmark)
24) Hedwig von Simmaningen (Central)
25) Sahra (Aarnimetsä)
26) Sinikka (Aarnimetsä)
27) Myfanwy Methig (Aarnimetsä)
28) Rixende of Aarnimetsä (Aarnimetsä)
29) Jahanarabanu Vivana (Insulae Draconis - Insulae Draconis region guild head)
30) Ida Järvinen (Aarnimetsä)
31) Lady Melisende Fitzwalter (Insulae Draconis)
32) Lady Siubhan inghean Fhearghuis (Insulae Draconis)
33) Katarina von Danzig (Insulae Draconis)
34) Mave (Central)
35) Himiltrude fan Austrasia (Central)
36) Honor of Restormel (-)
37) Tamara Stefanova (Central)
38) Eleanora von Ratzeburg (Central)
39) Johanna von Steinwedel (Central)
40) Lady Ameline de Leeuw (South)
41) Elisande (Central)
42) Lady Gunnhild von Brunswiek (Central)
43) Sorcha Fhionn inghean ui/Ruairc (Principality of Cynagua/West Kingdom)
44) Petronilla of London (Central)
45) Astrid Thorvaldsdottir (Central)
46) Petra von Bremen (Central)
47) Lady Rose Chandler (South)
48) Jaelle of Armida (Aarnimetsä)
49) Kareina Talvi Tytär (Central)
50) Lucia Thaylur (Kingdom Atenveldt)
51) Elinor (Insulae Draconis)
52) Isabella of Vielburgen (Central)
53) Amal binti Hamid Al-Chania (Aarnimetsä)
54) Elzbeth MacGregor Goldsworthy (Kingdom of Ealdormere, Trinovantia Nova)
55) Klara von Meersburg (Central)
56) Magdalen Yrjänäntytär (Aarnimetsä)
57) Ida Juhanantytär (Aarnimetsä)
58) Katheryn Hebenstreitz (Aarnimetsä)
59) Yosephina von Schwarzmoor (Central)
60) Felicitas Schwartzenbergin, Baroness of Gotvik (Nordmark)
61) Anastasia (Kingdom of Ealdormere)
* Guild Head: Lady Racaire
* Aarnimetsä - region guild head: Lady Fiora
* Central - region guild head: Lady Racaire
* Insulae Draconis - region guild head: Lady Jahanarabanu Vivana
* Nordmark - region guild head: Fru Renika Rikardsdottir
* South - region guild head: - (Lady Racaire)
Planed projects / projects in progress:
* 01.2011 - 10.2011 - second Guild project for 2011 "We have Dragons"
* 01.2010 - 10.2010 - first Guild project for 2010 "Coat of Arms Wallhanging for Drachenwald"
...other interesting projects:
* support of the A&S50 challenge in Drachenwald with the blog: http://drachenwald-as50.blogspot.com/ - SCA-wide challenge - finish date: celebration of the 50th year (in 2015) of the Society for Creative Anachronism
* please support the Token Challenge: http://dragonsembroiderers.blogspot.com/2010/07/dragons-needle-embroidery-guild.html
* please support the Pennsic Giftbasket: http://dragonsembroiderers.blogspot.com/2011/01/faq-giftbasket-confusion.html
Guild blog / homepage:
* Dragon's Embroidery Workshop blog: http://dragonsembroiderers.blogspot.com/ - a place for the embroiderers of Drachenwald to show their own work & projects, ask questions, get answers and enjoy each other's company - no finish date - possibility to display finished projects or projects in progress
* facebook fanpage: http://www.facebook.com/guild.head.Racaire - for anyone who is more comfortable with posting and following the guild news and postings at facebook. I try to repost all posts from the blog also at the fanpage and even a little bit more... :) The fanpage has already 181 members - SCA members & people interested into the SCA and our Guild who aren't members yet - please participate &; contribute - let us show what beautiful things we can create and let us inspire each other! :)
* homepage: no homepage by now
...other interesting blogs / homepages:
* Aarnimetsä: Aarnimetsä Embroidery Basket ( http://kirjontakori.blogspot.com/ )
* Central: - (see Dragon's Embroidery Workshop http://dragonsembroiderers.blogspot.com/)
* Insulae Draconis Fibre Arts Interest Group: http://idfibreinterestgroup.blogspot.com/
Yours in Service
Dragon's Needle Embroidery Guild Head